On the 21st and 22nd October 2017, renowned fiddle teacher Matt Cranitch will teach two Irish traditional fiddle workshops in Sassenheim, The Netherlands. These workshops are especially catered for fiddle students who are interested in extending their technique and knowledge of the art of Irish fiddle playing.
In order to create the best learning environments for students with different experiences, each day will cater for two intended audiences:
Saturday 21st: Level 1 – Workshop open to fiddlers with 1 – 5 years of experience.
Sunday 22nd: Level 2 – Workshop open to fiddlers with more than 5 years of experience.
If you have questions or concerns which class will suit you best, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. I am sure we can find the proper group for you!
At each of these one-day workshops, students will get to learn a good foundation on which to build their repertoire in the future. Important aspects like use of the bow, tone production, rhythm and ornamentation will all be addressed in a relaxed and stimulating atmosphere. Although some tunes will be taught during the course of the day, the main focus of this course is on technique rather than the learning of new tunes. The Sunday class will dive deeper into details and the learning pace is higher than on the Saturday class.
Matt Cranitch is the author of the much acclaimed fiddle book ‘The Irish Fiddle Book’. He is not only a terrific fiddle player, but also a very gifted teacher and expert on the fiddle playing style from the ‘Sliabh Luachra’ region. But of course, this workshop is open to anyone learning Irish traditional music, regardless of style or region!
The class will be held in Sassenheim, South-Holland which is 10 minutes from Leiden. Sassenheim has a train station and is perfectly reachable by car through the A44. Ample and free parking available in the area! The venue is a 5 minute walk from town centre.
- Saturday, October 21st, 9:00 – 15:30 (fiddlers with 1-5 years of experience)
- Sunday, October 22nd, 13:00 – 19:30 (fiddlers with over 5 years of experience)
- Julianakerk – Julianalaan 6, 2171 CZ Sassenheim
- basic knowledge of your instrument is required.
- check which class is best appropriate for you (Saturday or Sunday)
- if you are not sure if you will fit because you have either less or more experience than required, please contact email@example.com for advice.
- it is recommended (but not required) to have a copy of The Irish Fiddle Book.
- The cost of this workshop is 65,- which includes some refreshments but excludes lunch. Coffee and tea is available at the venue for a small fee.
How to enter:
- To enter for the workshop, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your desire to participate for which workshop (Saturday or Sunday) and your previous experience with violin or fiddle music.
- Payments for the workshop can be made by doing a bank transfer of the fee to Martin van Hensbergen, NL89 RABO 0330 6021 95, with description: ‘fiddle workshop 2017’.
- If you are interested in the workshop or have more questions please send an email to email@example.com
- Have a look at some of the previous workshops Matt Cranitch gave in the Netherlands on this website, e.g. last year’s workshop.
- Download and share the posters: Fiddle Level 1 and Fiddle Level 2.
- This video, made in Kenmare, Ireland, shows the type of detail and knowledge that Matt will share during the classes: